What to Wear to a New York Giants Game
The New York Giants are one of the most storied NFL franchises in the league. As members of the NFC East division, the Giants have won 4 Super Bowl championships in their 97 year history. And with a loyal and rabid fanbase, the New York Giants regularly sell-out their home games, located at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
And whether it’s your first-time visiting MetLife Stadium or you’re a season ticket holder, you may be wondering just what to wear to a New York Giants game. Below, we are going to review the best outfits and clothes to wear to a Giants game and help to ensure you have a great time while at the game. And as the Giants wear a mix of dark blue, red, gray, and white colored uniforms, be sure to mix these colors into your outfit to better blend with the home crowd.
Where Do The New York Giants Play?
The New York Giants play their home games at MetLife Stadium. Conveniently located a mere five miles west of New York City, MetLife Stadium opened in 2010 to replace the former stadium, Giants Stadium. Built at an approximate cost of $1.6 billion, MetLife Stadium was the most expensive stadium built in the United States at the time of its completion.
Similarly, MetLife Stadium is just one of two NFL stadiums shared by two teams. In addition to being the home of the New York Giants, the New York Jets also play their home games at the stadium. The second stadium, SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, is shared by both the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers.
Things to do Around MetLife Stadium
Whether you’re planning on attending a New York Giants game set for the middle of the day or one on a Monday afternoon, there are a plethora of activities, restaurants, and attractions nearby to keep you entertained and satiated both before and after the game.
Below, we’ve listed some of our favorite activities and restaurants near MetLife Stadium.
- American Dream Mall – a retail and entertainment complex in the Meadowlands Sports Complex, American Dream Mall is located directly across from MetLife Stadium. Featuring an indoor ski slope and a Nickelodeon Universe theme park, American Dream Mall is one of the largest indoor malls in the United States and will provide you and your family with countless activities, shopping, and restaurants.
- Medieval Times – Medieval Times is a family dinner theater which features staged medieval-style games, including sword-fighting, jousting, and the use of knights. Housed in replicas of 11th-century castles, Medieval Times provides a fun, family-friendly environment experience that you will never forget.
- TiLT Museum – located inside the American Dream Mall, the TiLT Museum is an interactive 3D museum that takes you through an array of optical illusions, allowing for your imagination, and the inevitable pictures, to go wild. A unique museum, it features numerous paintings done in 3D allowing you to feel submerged within them.
General Weather Conditions in East Rutherford, New Jersey
Once you’ve found a list of things to do both before and after the Giants game, it is important to plan your outfit. However, doing so requires understanding the general weather conditions and climate in East Rutherford and near MetLife Stadium.
In East Rutherford, the summers are warm, humid, and wet; the winters are very cold and snowy; and it is partly cloudy year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 25°F to 86°F and is rarely below 12°F or above 93°F.
However, from the months of September through the end of January, and when the New York Giants play their home games, the temperature will range from the mid 70’s in the autumn months to as low as 24-degrees in the winter months.
This means that you should definitely wear clothing which will keep you warm and dry, particularly in the winter months when snow is expected. In addition, layering up and wearing clothes which have warming properties is your best bet for withstanding the frigid conditions.
Dressing for a New York Giants Game
With the weather outside likely to range from chilly to frigid, it’s absolutely important to dress warmly when attending a Giants game at MetLife Stadium. Doing so will not only ensure you are kept warm and comfortable, but will also ensure you have a more enjoyable time.
Below, we are going to list all necessary and nice to have items when attending a New York Giants game. With warmth and comfort in mind, these items will help stave off the cold and frigid temperatures that you are likely to experience at MetLife Stadium.
However, be sure to be mindful of the forecast for the day of the game. Although temperatures in East Rutherford, New Jersey can get cold, during the autumn months the weather can remain slightly warmer. During those warmer days, bundling and layering up will be unnecessary and will, quite frankly, leave you uncomfortable.
- Winter Beanie and Scarf Set – one of the most crucial parts of your body, your head and face, are likely to face windy and chilly conditions while at MetLife Stadium, particularly in the winter months. As such, it is extremely important to ensure you wear appropriate clothing which covers and warms the face from the elements. Personally, we prefer the Warm Winter Beanie Hat & Scarf Set, which is unisex and provides sufficient coverage for the head, neck, and lower face. Warm and fashionable, this set is a 2-in-1 and provides maximum coverage for your most vulnerable areas.
- Mittens and Gloves – similarly, with your hands being exposed to the open elements, it is important to ensure proper coverage and protection for them. Be sure to wear a pair of mittens or gloves when attending a Giants game, particularly if the forecast calls for frigid temperatures. Personally, we prefer the Under Armour Liner 2.0 Gloves. Coming with touch points on the thumb and fingers, which allows you to type on your phone, these gloves are wind resistant and durable against the cold. However, we found that handling of snow or ice can degrade the warmth significantly, so be sure to avoid those if you do choose these gloves.
- Hand Warmers – if you’re worried about your hands getting cold, even with a pair of mittens or gloves, consider bringing along some portable hand warmers. Easy to use, hand warmers will keep your hands warm and are quick activated, meaning you’ll feel relief almost instantaneously. We really like these rechargeable hand warmers which can be used over-and-over again.
- New York Giants Sweater – as you will be attending a New York Giants game at MetLife Stadium, blending in with the crowd and showcasing your support for the team is recommended. We really like the Team Fan Apparel NFL Adult Hooded Sweatshirt, which comes in a classic gray design with the Giants logo on the front. Simple and warming, what more could you want in a sweater?
- Jacket – if you’re planning on attending a New York Giants game, particularly one in the winter months, then a jacket on top of your sweater is highly recommended. Now, while any winter jacket will suffice, if you want to stick with the Giants theme, we recommend going with the Ultra Game NFL Puffer Jacket. A classic puffer jacket, however, this one features the Giants logo on the top-right corner of the jacket. Necessary? Not really. Cool and an easy way to support the Giants? Definitely.
- Wool Socks – when it comes to frigid temperatures, the cold often flows through your feet. That’s why we recommend wearing wool socks to a Giants game. Wool socks will keep your feet warm, even in the most freezing of temperatures. While there are a plethora of options and choices, we personally recommend, and enjoy wearing, the Darn Tough Merino Wool Socks. Made with 66% Merino wool, these socks also feature wicking technology to pull moisture from your feet. Made in Vermont, the quality is simply unmatched.
- Leggings – again, if the forecast calls for low temperatures, wearing leggings beneath your pants can help to keep you warm and comfortable. We personally like the Under Armour HeatGear Leggings which provide added warmth without weighing you down.
- Seat Cushion – a seemingly odd addition to the list, but believe us, you’re going to be thankful of this recommendation. With the seats in the stadium getting wet, bringing along a seat cushion will make for a more comfortable time at the game. Personally, we prefer to go with tree stand cushions, as they are a bit more durable and easy to carry around. We like the XOP-XTREME Outdoor Seat Cushion, but really just about any seat cushion should suffice.