What to Wear to a Dallas Cowboys Game?
Whether you love them or hate them, there’s no denying that the Dallas Cowboys have one of the most loyal and diehard fans in all of sports. As one of two NFL teams in Texas, the Cowboys have often been referred to as “America’s Team”, a nickname originating from the team’s 1978 highlight film, wherein the narrator opens with the following introduction:
They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, “America’s Team”.
And as America’s Team, the Cowboys are often one of the most watched and followed teams in the league. And whether you are planning on visiting AT&T Stadium for the first time, or you are a long-time season ticket holder, you may be wondering, what exactly should I wear to a Dallas Cowboys game?
Below, we are going to review the best outfits and clothing items to wear to a Dallas Cowboys game and to AT&T Stadium. Following this guide, you will better blend in with the home crowd and showcase your support and fandom for the team.
Why Are The Dallas Cowboys Referred to As “America’s Team”?
Before jumping into what to wear to a Dallas Cowboys game, it is important to understand the history and significance of the team to both the NFL and to pop-culture. The Dallas Cowboys, one of the most hated teams in the NFL, are perhaps ironically referred to as “America’s Team”.
This reference first began in a 1978 season highlight film. The narrator, John Facenda, opens the film by introducing the Cowboys as, “they appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, “America’s Team”.
The line, coined by Bob Ryan, who is now the Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, recalls preparing the script, stating:
“I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television.”
However, it wasn’t until the Cowboys’ first game of the 1979 season, a nationally televised game against the St. Louis Cardinals, when the television announcer on CBS introduced the Cowboys as America’s Team, sticking the nickname to the team.
Where Do The Dallas Cowboys Play?
The Dallas Cowboys currently play at AT&T Stadium, which was formerly known as Cowboys Stadium. A retractable stadium in Arlington, Texas, the stadium was completed on May 27, 2009. At a final cost of $1.2 billion, AT&T Stadium not only hosts the Dallas Cowboys home games but also the Cotton Bowl Classic and the Big 12 Championship Game.
A large stadium, it can easily host over 80,000 fans and can be reconfigured to hold over 100,000 seats, making it the largest stadium in the NFL. In fact, the stadium set an NFL regular season attendance record in 2009 when it seated 105,121 fans within the stadium.
Things To Do Around AT&T Stadium
Whether you’re planning on attending a Dallas Cowboys game set for the middle of the day or one on a Monday or Thursday afternoon, there are a plethora of activities, restaurants, and attractions nearby to keep you entertained and satiated both before and after the game.
Below, we’ve listed some of our favorite activities and restaurants near AT&T Stadium.
- Richard Greene Linear Park – a wonderful and rather cozy spot, Richard Greene Linear Park features a lack on its north side, Rangers Ballpark to the east and AT&T Stadium to the west, Richard Greene Linear Park owes its essence as a greenway in the middle of Arlington’s famous entertainment district to the Johnson Creek Ecosystem Restoration project.
- Arlington Music Hall – the Arlington Music Hall has a rich history and has always been the “go to place” for entertainment within Arlington, Texas. Opened in 1950 as a movie theater, the hall continues to provide great entertainment and night life to residents and visitors alike.
- Dyno-Rock Indoor Climbing Center – one of the best indoor rock climbing locations, Dyno-Rock Indoor Climbing Center is a 16,000+ square foot location with a multitude of climbing surfaces for every level and age.
General Weather Conditions in Arlington, Texas
Once you’ve found a list of things to do both before and after the Cowboys game, it is important to plan your outfit. However, doing so requires understanding the general weather conditions and climate in Arlington, Texas and near AT&T Stadium.
In Arlington, the summers are hot and muggy, the winters are cold and windy, and it is partly cloudy year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 37°F to 96°F and is rarely below 25°F or above 102°F.
However, from the months of September through the end of January, and when the Dallas Cowboys play their home games, the temperature will range from the high 80’s in the autumn months to as low as 35-degrees in the winter months.
However, particularly during the winter months and when the weather is either too hot or too cold, the retractable roof at AT&T Stadium will be closed. Doing so will help to protect and insulate both the players and fans from the outdoor weather conditions.
Dressing for a Dallas Cowboys Game
While the outdoor weather will likely not have too much influence on your choice of outfit, due to the stadiums retractable roof, it is still important to consider for traveling both to and from the stadium. However, particularly when it is cold outside, wearing a simple jacket atop your outfit will provide protection from the cold and can be removed once you arrive to the stadium.
- Dallas Cowboys Shirt – with the Cowboys’ colors being navy blue, metallic silver, royal blue, and white, these colors tend to match with nearly any outfit. If you’re attending a Dallas Cowboys game, we highly recommend sticking with a Cowboys themed shirt. Although a Cowboys jersey is a popular choice, they can be prohibitively expensive for many. Rather, you can opt for a simple unisex Cowboys shirt. Alternatively, a women’s long-sleeve Cowboys shirt with the team’s logo emblazoned on the front is another popular choice.
- Jeans or Leggings – don’t overthink the leg-wear. Traditionally, most fans will either wear jeans or a pair of leggings to a Cowboys game. Simple and comfortable, the retractable roof option at AT&T Stadium makes choosing leg-wear much easier.
- Dallas Cowboys Cowboy Hat – as the cowboys hat is so often associated with the team, wearing one to the game can further showcase your fandom for the team. We really like the NFL Sun Bucket Boonie Hat, which is a bit more flexible and elastic then other cowboy hats.