What to Wear to a Chicago Bears Game?
The Chicago Bears have one of the most loyal and die-hard fans from any NFL team. As the only NFL team to play their home games in the state of Illinois, the Chicago Bears regularly sellout tickets to their home games and bring a level of tenacity and enthusiasm not seen in many other teams.
And whether you’re a season ticket holder or simply attending a Chicago Bears game for the first time, you may be wondering, what exactly should I wear to a Chicago Bears game.
Below, we are going to review the best pieces of clothing to wear to a Chicago Bears game and help to ensure you have a great time while at the game. And as the Bears wear a mix of navy blue, burnt orange, and white colored uniforms, be sure to mix these colors into your outfit to better blend with the home crowd.
Where Do The Chicago Bears Play?
The Chicago Bears currently play at Soldier Field. Soldier Field, a multi-purpose stadium on the Near South Side of Chicago originally opened in 1924 and has been the home field of the Chicago Bears since 1971.
With a capacity of just 61,500, Soldier Field is the smallest stadium in the NFL. However, it is also the oldest stadium in the league and has seen countless upsets and victories for the Bears since the team moved to the stadium.
With ground breaking on August 11, 1922, Soldier Field cost $13 million to construct, an equivalent amount of $207 million in 2021. The $13 million sum was considered to be one of the largest for any sporting venue at the time, with many similar sports venues costing less then $1 million in total construction costs.
Things To Do Around Soldier Field
Whether you’re planning on attending a Chicago Bears game set for the middle of the day or one on a Monday afternoon, there are a plethora of activities, restaurants, and attractions nearby to keep you entertained and satiated both before and after the game.
Below, we’ve listed some of our favorite activities and restaurants near Soldier Field.
- Gold Star Families Memorial and Park – located directly east of Soldier Field, the Gold Star Families Memorial and Park is a memorial maintained by the Chicago Police Department Honor Guard and is meant to honor the 585 Chicago Police Department officers who died in the line of duty.
- Shedd Aquarium – Shedd Aquarium is an indoor public aquarium in Chicago and was opened on May 30, 1930. Housing over 32,000 animals within the 5 million gallon tanks, the Shedd Aquarium was one of the first inland aquariums with a permanent saltwater fish collection.
- The Art Institute of Chicago – The Art Institute of Chicago is located in Chicago’s Grant Park and was founded in 1879. One of the oldest and largest art museums in the world, it has been recognized for its curatorial efforts and popularity amongst visitors, with over 1.5 million visitors to the museum per year.
General Weather Conditions in Chicago Illinois
Once you’ve found a list of things to do both before and after the Bears game, it is important to plan your outfit. However, doing so requires understanding the general weather conditions and climate in Chicago and near Soldier Field.
In Chicago, the summers are warm, humid, and wet; the winters are freezing, snowy, and windy; and it is partly cloudy year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 22°F to 83°F and is rarely below 5°F or above 91°F.
However, from the months of September through the end of January, and when the Chicago Bears play their home games, the temperature will range from the mid 70’s in the autumn months to as low as 22-degrees in the winter months.
This means that you should definitely wear clothing which will keep you warm and dry, particularly in the winter months when snow is expected. In addition, layering up and wearing clothes which have warming properties is your best bet for withstanding the frigid conditions.
Dressing for a Chicago Bears Game
With the weather outside likely to range from chilly to frigid, it’s absolutely important to dress warmly when attending a Bears game at Soldier Field. Doing so will not only ensure you are kept warm and comfortable, but will also ensure you have a more enjoyable time.
Below, we are going to list all necessary and nice to have items when attending a Chicago Bears game. With warmth and comfort in mind, these items will help stave off the cold and frigid temperatures that you are likely to experience at Soldier Field.
- Winter Beanie and Scarf Set – one of the most crucial parts of your body, your head and face, are likely to face windy and chilly conditions while at Soldier Field, particularly in the winter months. As such, it is extremely important to ensure you wear appropriate clothing which covers and warms the face from the elements. Personally, we prefer the Warm Winter Beanie Hat & Scarf Set, which is unisex and provides sufficient coverage for the head, neck, and lower face. Warm and fashionable, this set is a 2-in-1 and provides maximum coverage for your most vulnerable areas.
- Mittens or Gloves – similarly, with your hands being exposed to the open elements, it is important to ensure proper coverage and protection for them. Be sure to wear a pair of mittens or gloves when attending a Bears game, particularly if the forecast calls for frigid temperatures. Personally, we prefer the Under Armour Liner 2.0 Gloves. Coming with touch points on the thumb and fingers, which allows you to type on your phone, these gloves are wind resistant and durable against the cold. However, we found that handling of snow or ice can degrade the warmth significantly, so be sure to avoid those if you do choose these gloves.
- Hand Warmers – if you’re worried about your hands getting cold, even with a pair of mittens or gloves, consider bringing along some portable hand warmers. Easy to use, hand warmers will keep your hands warm and are quick activated, meaning you’ll feel relief almost instantaneously. We really like these rechargeable hand warmers which can be used over-and-over again.
- Chicago Bears Sweater – with the Chicago Bears’ colors being primarily navy blue, burnt orange, and white, the choice of sweater and matching clothes becomes much easier. Personally, we really like the Women’s Sideline Stripe Hooded Fleece Sweatshirt and matching men’s sweater. Simple and rather sophisticated, it’s a perfect sweater for slightly cooler days at Soldier Field.
- Jacket – if you’re planning on attending a Chicago Bears game, particularly one in the winter months, then a jacket on top of your sweater is highly recommended. We really like The North Face Full Zip Puffer Jacket, which we personally wear on cold days and during the winter months. Capable and durable, you’ll feel the warmth encompass your body from the second you place it on. Fashionable and lightweight, it is by-far one of our favorite jackets of all time.
- Wool Socks – when it comes to frigid temperatures, the cold often flows through your feet. That’s why we recommend wearing wool socks to a Bears game. Wool socks will keep your feet warm, even in the most freezing of temperatures. While there are a plethora of options and choices, we personally recommend, and enjoy wearing, the Darn Tough Merino Wool Socks. Made with 66% Merino wool, these socks also feature wicking technology to pull moisture from your feet. Made in Vermont, the quality is simply unmatched.
- Proper Footwear – while you may be tempted to wear regular shoes or sneakers to the Bears game, we actually recommend wearing boots. If the forecast calls for snow, which it often does in Orchard Park, then boots will not only keep your feet warm, but will also provide you with additional traction while walking in the snow and to your seat.
- Leggings – again, if the forecast calls for low temperatures, wearing leggings beneath your pants can help to keep you warm and comfortable. We personally like the Under Armour HeatGear Leggings which provide added warmth without weighing you down.
- Seat Cushion – a seemingly odd addition to the list, but believe us, you’re going to be thankful of this recommendation. With the seats in the stadium getting wet, bringing along a seat cushion will make for a more comfortable time at the game. Personally, we prefer to go with tree stand cushions, as they are a bit more durable and easy to carry around. We like the XOP-XTREME Outdoor Seat Cushion, but really just about any seat cushion should suffice.
- Insulation Foam – another random recommendation is an insulation foam. Great for placing directly in front of you, an insulation foam will help you to keep your balance and reduce the likelihood of slipping and falling while standing. We personally use this pink insulation 2-inch thick foam when going to the game.