What to Wear to a Baseball Game – The Definitive Guide
So, you want to know what to wear to a baseball game?
Well, you’re in luck! Below, we are going to review just what to wear to a baseball game. This definitive guide will help you choose the best styles, outfits, and pieces to go along with your other pieces and to showcase your baseball love and fandom.
So, without further ado, here is our comprehensive list of what to wear to a baseball game – the definitive list.
What to Wear to an MLB Game?
While the general outfit and pieces worn to a baseball game are similar, when attending a specific MLB game, you will want to ensure that your outfit and pieces match the style of the home team or the team that you are rooting for.
As such, it is important to consider which MLB team game you will be attending.
Below, we have considered and discussed the best outfits to wear based on every MLB team in the league. Again, we highly recommend customizing your outfit based on the home team or the team that you will be rooting for to better blend in with the crowd and to better showcase your team pride and fandom.
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Atlanta Braves
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- Chicago White Sox
- Chicago Cubs
- Cincinnati Reds
- Cleveland Guardians
- Colorado Rockies
- Detroit Tigers
- Houston Astros
- Kansas City Royals
- Los Angeles Angels
- Los Angeles Dodgers
- Miami Marlins
- Milwaukee Brewers
- Minnesota Twins
- New York Yankees
- New York Mets
- Oakland Athletics
- Philadelphia Phillies
- Pittsburgh Pirates
- San Diego Padres
- San Francisco Giants
- Seattle Mariners
- St. Louis Cardinals
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Texas Rangers
- Toronto Blue Jays
- Washington Nationals
What is Baseball?
While you will want to know just what to wear to a baseball game, it is also important to take a step back and consider and understand just what baseball is, and what the basic rules of the sport are, before heading out to the ballpark.
Baseball is, without a doubt, a classic American game and one that embodies the very essence and spirit of America. Widely loved and followed, baseball unites the country against all odds and is one of the most popular sports in the country.
Baseball is a relatively simple sport that can be complicated by more avid fans and sports commentators looking into specific nuances of the game. However, if you are looking to just get started as a fan or viewer, then the basic rules of the game are below.
- The object of the game is to score more runs than your opponent. This is done by rounding the bases and crossing the home plate as many times as possible and more times than your opponent.
- Baseball is played by two teams of 9 players
- Baseball, as compared to basketball and football, is played in innings. In a typical baseball game, there are 9 total innings, which each team being afforded three outs before the end of an inning half. The completion of an inning is determined when six total outs have been completed against both teams combined.
- Baseball games are played on a baseball diamond, so called due to its shape. The baseball diamond consists of a pitcher’s mound, 4 bases, and an infield and outfield.
- To play a game of baseball, you will need a baseball bat, a batting helmet, baseball gloves for the fielding team, and 4 bases situated in a manner that resembles a square and that is equal distance between each base to the next, i.e., 90-feet from home base to the 1st base and subsequently 90-feet from 1st base to 2nd base, 90-feet from 2nd base to 3rd base and 90-feet from 3rd base back to the home base.
- To start play, the visiting team will bat first while the home team will start on the field on defense. The first batter steps up to the batter’s box, which is either side of the home plate and the batter must have both feet inside the box.
- The batter will attempt to score a run by hitting the pitched ball past the outer field walls, so called a home run. However, hitting the ball into fair territory, or in a position where a fielding player is unable to catch the ball from its initial hit, will allow the batter to attempt to run to first, second, third, or the home bases.
- The batter will be deemed “out” if he is assessed 3 strikes.
- A strike occurs either when a batter fails to hit the ball that is thrown in the strike zone, which is the area between the batter’s shoulders and knees. This can occur off of a missed swing or when a batter fails to swing at a pitch. Similarly, if the batter hits a thrown pitch, but the ball is hit out of bounds and with fewer than two strikes are against him, it will be counted as a strike, so called a foul ball.
- A batter cannot strike out on a foul ball. If a batter has two strikes against him, there is technically no limit to the number of additional foul balls he is allowed to hit. With two strikes, a batter can only strike out on a swing and a miss or on a pitched ball which he fails to swing at that is in the strike zone.
- A “ball” occurs when the pitcher throws the baseball outside the strike zone and the batter does not attempt to swing at the pitched ball.
- The batter is considered a runner if he hits the pitched ball into fair territory, after 4 “balls” are thrown by the pitcher, or he is hit by a pitch.
- While a batter is considered out after three strikes, he can also be called out if he hits the ball and it is caught while in the air, also known as a fly ball.
- However, a runner is out when a fielder tags him with the ball when he is no longer touching a base, when he runs more than 3-feet out of the baseline to avoid being tagged, or when he runs past a base runner that is ahead of him.
Why Choosing an Outfit to a Baseball Game is Important
While seemingly an innocuous choice and decision, choosing what to wear to a baseball or MLB game is, perhaps, one of the more important choices to make when attending a baseball game. Baseball, unlike football, basketball, and hockey, is very much a team and fan experience.
That is, the fans whom crowd the stadiums and ballparks are an integral piece of the team culture and pride. These fans are typically avid followers of the team and players and their attendance and support of the home team helps to motivate, drive, and propel the team towards victory.
As such, when attending a baseball game, you should attempt to wear clothing and colors which resemble the home team’s colors.
Below are a few additional reasons why choosing an outfit to a baseball game is important.
- To help support the team and the home team players
- To showcase your fandom and support of the home team
- To ensure comfortability due to most baseball stadiums being open to the elements
- To blend in well with other fans in the stadium and in the bleachers
- To showoff your support for a specific player or players on the team
How to Decide What to Wear to a Baseball Game
Understanding that there is a rich history in the game, it can seem difficult to decide just what to wear to a baseball game. However, there are a few helpful hints and tips which should be able to make the decision a bit easier.
Firstly, it’s important to understand that most sporting events are casual events. That means you will want to avoid any business or formal wear, which will not only be uncomfortable but also unnecessary and will leave you sticking out like a sore thumb.
Secondly, it is highly advised to wear clothing which matches the general color schemes of the home team, particularly if you are a fan of the home team or are neutral on the outcome of the game.
However, if you are visiting from out of state, or simply are rooting for the opposing team, it is allowable to wear clothing or colors of the opposing or away team.
Lastly, aim to dress according to the weather conditions. While some MLB stadiums do have retractable roofs, most do not. This means that you will likely be at the mercy of the weather and the elements.
And while many MLB teams will delay or postpone games due to inclement weather, light rainfall or scattered showers and snowy conditions will typically see a continuation of play, so be prepared for either by checking the weather beforehand.
A Baseball Hat or Cap
Starting from the top, by far the single easiest and versatile piece of clothing to wear to a baseball game is none other than a baseball hat or cap. Stylish and easy to pull off, a baseball cap will help keep the sun’s rays from hitting your face while simultaneously showcasing your team fandom.
There are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to choosing a baseball cap to purchase. However, be sure to only buy from reputable and well-known sources, brands, and manufacturers.
Off-brand MLB caps tend to show wear-and-tear more quickly and authentic caps tend to be just slightly more expensive but are well worth the added investment.
Both brands offer a plethora of design choices and are officially licensed by the MLB, so you know you’re getting a quality item.
Another great option to add to your overall look is some face paint. While not exactly necessary, it provides a cool look and helps you to feel more in-tune with the game and the home team.
However, it’s best to not go overboard. A simple black stripe beneath your eyes is always a great look.
Or, alternatively, if you or a friend are creatively inclined, you could always paint a simple team logo on your cheek for a more baseball friendly look.
We’ve personally used this face paint and have had no issues with it staying in place nor washing it off. So highly recommend!
A Sweater or Jacket
Harking back to our above mentioned tip, if the weather calls for cold or wet conditions, then we highly recommend bringing along a sweater or jacket with you to the game.
A simple all-purpose jacket or sweater should suffice to help keep you warm and dry.
And while we recommend sticking with the home team’s color themes, it’s generally not an issue if you veer away from those color schemes when wearing a jacket or sweater on top of your t-shirt or team jersey.
Home Team T-Shirt or Jersey
Now, when it comes to upper-wear, you generally have three main options. The first, and most simple one, is to wear a home team based t-shirt.
This is generally the cheapest and most affordable option if you are looking to showoff your team fandom without having to spend a ton on an authentic jersey.
This option is also the one we tend to choose. Not only cheaper but also more versatile, you can wear these t-shirts to other events and outings without fear.
Generally, we prefer to stick with Nike’s lineup of MLB t-shirts. Affordable, comfortable, and with a plethora of designs and color schemes, you’ll be sure to find one that is the perfect fit for you.
Alternatively, you could always choose to purchase an authentic MLB jersey. While more expensive, these jersey’s really showcase your fandom for the team and a specific player.
If you do decide to purchase an authentic jersey, we recommend doing so from an authorized retailer and we like to do so from the source.
You can find all authentic and available MLB team and player jersey’s at the MLB Shop.
Lastly, if you’re more keen on sticking with a more casual style, and one not beholden to any team, then a simple neutral colored top works well.
We would advise against wearing any top that is too flamboyant or overly graphic, as those tend to not blend in well with the crowd.
Rather, stick to a neutral colored top with a bit of ruffling to give off a casual look.
And if you want to add a bit more color to your overall look, these tops do just the trick, providing a nice blend of neutral colors in a fashionable and stylish manner.
For the guys out there, if you’re not too keen on an emblazoned t-shirt, we highly recommend going a bit more Friday casual look with a Polo Ralph Lauren Classic Fit Shirt.
A bit more formal for sure but these polos pair well with jeans or khakis and provide a more sophisticated look.
And with a wide selection of colors, you’ll be able to find a perfect one to match your overall aesthetic.
Joggers or Athletic Pants
Interestingly enough, we typically opt to go for a pair of joggers or athletic pants when going to a baseball game. The reason is that while the weather may be warmer on some days, rain showers can occur at almost any time.
And we’re really not fans of wearing wet jeans.
However, we generally like to go for comfort over style, especially while at the ballgame. And if the weather will be warm and hot, you don’t want to feel sweaty and uncomfortable throughout the duration of the game.
Rather, upon confirming that the weather will remain warm and sunny, opting for shorts or pants which are a bit loose and will allow your legs to breathe and not feel enclosed is a great option.
By far our favorite joggers are from Vuori.
A bit more expensive than other options, these joggers are insanely comfortable. In fact, you’ll feel like you’re wearing nothing at all with them on.
Vuori makes great joggers for both men and women and with a plethora of color options, you’ll be able to find the perfect ones to fit with your overall look.
However, if you’re looking to wear something a bit more sophisticated, then a simple pair of jeans always does the trick. Jeans are versatile and an easy choice, so don’t count them out!
Comfortable Walking Shoes
Lastly, when it comes to figuring out what to wear to a baseball game, we definitely recommend opting for a pair of comfortable walking shoes.
Inevitably, you will end up having to walk quite a bit and wearing comfortable shoes will help you to avoid bone spurs and hurt feet at the end of the night.
We recommend sticking with a simple pair of walking shoes. Easy to wear and extremely comfortable, these shoes can be found in most of our closet’s, so it shouldn’t be an issue throwing them on.
While figuring out what to wear to a baseball game can be a bit of a process, there are some notable accessories which you may want to consider to bring along. While not exactly necessary, some of these accessories are fun and stylish, so definitely consider bringing them along.
- MLB Team Umbrella – if the weather calls for rain or light snow, definitely consider bringing along an umbrella with you to the game. And while just about any umbrella will suffice, we really love these MLB team based umbrellas which really showcase your team fandom.
- Sunglasses – similarly, if the weather calls for a sunny day, we highly recommend bringing along a pair of sunglasses. Sunglasses should be able to help you avoid squinting and causing strain to your eyes and there are plenty of cheaper options available if you don’t have some on hand.
- Visor – alternatively, a visor is an easy way to keep the sun’s rays from hitting your face. And while many visors look a bit overdone, we’ve found that this visor by Camoland is both stylish and practical for our needs.
- MLB Team Earrings – if you really want to showcase your home team pride, then there are plenty of MLB team specific earrings which can help you do so! These earrings are cute and well-priced and make for a great addition to your outfit.
- Binoculars – lastly, if you’re not seated too close to the field, we also recommend bringing along a pair of binoculars to the game. Doing so will help you to better see what is happening on the field and will definitely make you the envy of your friend group.